Plugins are components that when added to a wordpress site will give you the webmaster more funtionality and capabilities with the site
What is WordPress
WordPress is a blogging tool much like Google Blogger. This software makes it very userfriendly when setting up or editing your website.
WordPress is the most popular blogging system used on the Internet today, not the only one but because of the ease of this system it just makes good sense to use it.
It does come with a learning curve like anything new will. The basics don’t take very long to understand and with some training you will be a pro in no time. Like most things more you use it the better you will get and most hosting services use wordpress. I know Wealthy Affiliate uses wordpress with their hosting services and it is literally as easy as 1-2-3, try it you will see.
5 Must Have Plugins
* Google XML Sitemap – this plugin is a must have for the reason that in generates a sitemap that will help search engines find your website
* All in One SEO – I must admit if I could have only two plugins, the sitemap and the All in One SEO would be the ones. This plug-in will do much of the SEO work for you and will assist in getting ranked and indexed in the search engines. Two of the best features of this plugin are that it works right out of the box nothing needs adjusting, and it will automatically optimize your titles for the search engines. It really does give you all in one; I strongly recommend using this.
* Google Analytics for WordPress – This plugin will help you set up your google analytic account for your website. Googles analytic tool is offered for free. You will also be able to add your site to Google Webmasters through your analytics account; both are very valuable tools for keeping track of your website and what your visitors are doing. I highly recommend to sign up for both tools you will be glad you did.
* Ultimate tinyMCE or Advanced – Now this is a great tool that will let you do all kinds of extra editing techniques. Add color or different font and font size; add the date or check spelling and much more. This will make it easy to get your site looking just the way you want your site to look. All kinds of options and accessories, you will find this tool very helpful and fun.
* BackWPup – If you don’t have your website backed up and something happens to your site for any reason you will lose all your hard work. This will ensure that you will have saved a copy of your site just in case. I needed my back up for one of my sites that somehow picked up a virus or was compromised somehow (this does not happen often) but does happen, I reloaded (had someone help me from the University) and away I went just like nothing happened. That is why this is a must have.
Well there you have it my 5 must have plugins for your wordpress site.
Installing and Activating Your Plugins
Your WordPress Dashboard
To start you will need to go to your dashboard and then click on “Plugins” in the left hand column. A menu will pop up asking you what you want to do, you will want to click “Add New” bringing you to this screen…
As you can see, type the name of the plugin into the search box and click “Search Plugins” this will bring you to the install page…
Click on “Install Now” and you are whisked away to the activate page, it looks something like this…
Click on “Activate Plugin” and you have just activated your very first plugin for your wordpress website. Now that was easy wasn’t it. Repeat the process for each and every plugin that you are wanting to install and activate. Little Hint if you do not like the one that you just installed it is easy to uninstall (deactivate) and delete and go back to pick another one. It does not cause any harm to your site, I have done upwards to 5-6 at times when I am looking for new things or more so go for it.
For our example after it has been activated you will find the google xml sitemap in your settings menu, click on “Settings” and this is what you should see. If you click on “Google XML Sitemap” you will go to the settings page…
At last your done to install and activate other plugins just repeat what you just did. In no time you will be an old pro at this. It takes sometime but as you see with good instruction and doing it for yourself a few times it is quite easy.
Hope this helps, if not leave me a comment and we will see what we can do to get you some more help.